March 18, 2010

top of the ginger to ya

as most of you know, yesterday was st. patty's day, which is celebrated in the US by searching for shamrock shakes and puking up green beer by 4 pm.

for most, the couleur du jour is green, but this year i celebrated a different color, red, as in, all the irish gingers out there! although my irish heritage left me looking more like a viking with freckles, let's pause for a moment to give a shout out to all the redheads among us, only 1-2% of the population. they often get a lot of flack, but i'm scared of their fiery tempers so this is pure <3. (anyone else see patti call that woman a fire crotch bitch on millionaire matchmaker?!)

personally, the first time i remember laughing at the word ginger was my first trip to europe as a teenager, when an old british lady asked me if i had visited ginger yet. i had not, but she told me to give gingy a kiss, as they affectionately call him.

another personal connection is our own keelay, who is my favorite ginger kid of all time. he wasn't discouraged by those recessive genes on chromosome 16, he embraced them as his child modeling career exploded in the pacific northwest. here's an early shot, but he is still as fine as ever. hands off ladies and gentlemen, he's taken!
probably my favorite famous red head right now is cristina hendricks, from my other obsession, mad men. she has to be one of the fiercest beasts out there. (she's the one the nytimes doctored a photo of to call fat. we in high school nyt?) props to her for working it 24/7/365.

the girl in this video really reminds me of her, but i love this quirky stop motion video, lost things, music by a fine frenzy.



so people, stop hating on the redheads, and give your local ginger some love.

No comments:

Post a Comment