August 12, 2009

feminism our moms could be proud of

the other day i received a post card in the mail from my alma mater (all girl's catholic high school) asking me to call a toll free number to update my contact info. sure, why not?

a nice man picked up and told me all about this alumni book coming out and proceeded to ask about my upated contact info, address, job, etc. then this:

him: oh, i see you've been out for about 6 years now.

me: oh wow, that seems like a long time.

him: so, have you changed your name? what are your husband and children's names?

me: oof, don't have any of those.

him: oh, i see.

what i SHOULD'VE said: my husband's name is prince william and i am now the duchess of wales. my children's names are maddox, shiloh, bronx, suri and apple.

listen, i got a great education from a school that touted itself as a place for girls to become independent, intelligent women. apparently in this man's eyes i am considered a FAIL because unlike a nice portion of my classmates i am not married and knocked up by one year after college.

apparently all that bra burning of my mother's generation didn't really work. instead, we have the horrors of promise rings (ugh) and 16 & pregnant, which has made some TPT into pseudo-reality-celebutards. (at least the one named catelynn (not the traditional gaelic spelling) had the sense to give hers up for adoption.)

i guess they got the last laugh though, he conned me into donating $70.
but it's all good, i'll take abother $70 and buy myself some champagne in celebration of the fact that i'm not pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment