June 30, 2009

the abcs of the land down under.

(for the record: this post was written for my work, hence the capitalization and somewhat repetitive themes from the original *~*)


I have a special place in my heart for Latin America. After spending my first placement learning to speak *~*el espanol*~* (among other things) in Peru, I’ve felt a lingering kinship with the continent. So, when I was told I would be spending two weeks in Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgentina this June I felt the excitement of my second home all coming back to me.


In fifth grade poetic fashion, here’s my dedication to the land of dulce de leche, Che Guevara, and way too many empanadas:


A: for effort


This is the outside of P.A. Argentina. The branding was without a doubt the most impressive I’ve seen (sorry Goring by Sea!), but our design team immediately informed me the text was written in the wrong font. For all offices looking to replicate this P.A. kingdom, please use Trade Gothic and NOT Futura.


R:igorous mate drinking


Mate is a caffeinated beverage that is to Argentine’s what Dunkin’ Donuts iced lattes are to Americans. It’s a culture, perfection, lifestyle, and ultimately the drink of choice in Argentina all day, every day. Although I couldn’t get into the bitter taste regardless of how much diet sugar filled the copa, I did enjoy the communal aspect of sipping on a bombilla while relaxing in las pampas.


G:enerous portions of meat


I heard many rumors about Argentina’s vast meat selection, though nothing could prepare me for an actual meal. Normally a faux-vegetarian, I had to give in to the steak. And the pork. And the chicken. And the blood sausage. And every other type of meat whose names I don’t even remember at this point. Meat, like mate, is a religion in Argentina, so its best to leave your vegan inclinations behind (survey says no one from Williamsburg can travel here).


E:uropean flavor


Strolling down the streets of Cordoba was like being in Paris all over again. Okay, so I wouldn’t go that far, but nonetheless Argentina had a very European style. There were big streets with cobblestone and cafes and tables sprawling onto the streets. Waiters even brought carbonated water with coffee! A little slice of Europe for those of us living in the Western (aka bestern) hemisphere.


N:ight time dining


When it comes to eating dinner in Argentina, all I can say is this: by the time most of us are in bed, they’re starting to cook dinner. Get ready for 11pm meals, y’all.


T:alk Spanish to me


Argentine Spanish is a very curious variation on other versions of the language. Instead of the typical pronunciation of double l’s, y’s, or j’s, Argentine’s use a “jaaaa” sound. This doesn’t translate very well written, but believe me it’s both real and beautiful.


I: (couldn’t think of anything for this, sorry.)


N:o, it’s not summer


Contrary to popular belief, summer does not occur between June-August everywhere in the world (New York City included in that at the moment). While this seems obvious to the well-seasoned traveler, some of us forget small nuances every now and then – no mentioning of names. For the FYI, those of you traveling during the Northern Hemisphere’s summer, it will be winter in Argentina so dress warm.


A:lfajores (pls put photo of me with the alfajor over my eye)


Close your eyes.


No, open them so you can read this.


Picture two layers of cake with dulce de leche in the middle. You shall call this is an alfajor aka perfection. This noteworthy part of Argentina is dedicated to my former fellow Program Advisor Jessye Crowe-Rothstein (we miss you!) who harassed me everyday I was gone about trying them. I’m glad she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment